Saturday, October 5, 2013

Deep tissue massage?

Uhhh... 

A couple of weeks ago my quad started really bothering me, it was tiiiight, so tight, big knots. And for some reason none of the normal quad stretches would get it. I tried the foam roller too... to no avail. It was too deep. 

I thought I could massage it myself, what an ideal location to be able to really get in there, but I could never find it with my hands, only my elbow. I just couldn't find it to work on it! 

After my long run last Saturday I bought a "The Stick" which I looove, love. For real. But more on that on a slow day. That would work for short period of time but not for the long haul. So I took this week off of my two shorter runs. 



Back at it Saturday morning and I ran 9 miles of the course I am running on the 26th. Ouch! Still a problem, the entire run... and don't even think about stopping because starting again is one big joke! 

It just so happens that the girl I run with's sister-in-law is a masseuse and she works from her home. (And for a Chiro.) Can she squeeze me in? Oh please, oh please! 

Huzzah! 

Welcome to my first deep tissue massage. And HOLY OUCH! Really! Apparently it wasn't my quad but a muscle that runs UNDER my quad so you can imagine how fun it was for her to have to move my quad to the side and work on it! 

At one point I said "Oh mama!" and she actually said "your mama can't help you now!" and laughed maniacally. (Or maybe I made up the laughing part, but she definitely said that.) 



I think I expected to walk away and to be better but Saturday night I could barely walk! So I Google (what can I say, it's what I do...) and it's totally normal to be sore for 24-48 hours and to stick with it because it's worth it! 

limp, limp, limp

I would totally do it again though, I am a glutton! 

Ever had one? Care to share your thoughts?

10 comments:

  1. Ouch! I cringed at the thought of moving your quad out of the way!! Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I cringed alright! She said they connect at the hip and below the knee so they are kind of floppy anyway! So odd!

      Delete
  2. Oh. My. Word. Move a muscle to get to another one?! Yipes! Hope this works though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad there are people that know what they are doing! We shall see!! Today my hammies are just tight - too tight to tell.

      Delete
  3. It scares me. Though I have a knot in my calf.......sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should scare you! But I can tell you one thing, I feel great as I get moving today. I am stiff pretty much everywhere but stiff like I got a good workout. My leg isn't bothering me at ALL!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me how you feel tomorrow! I am kind of scared, but I need something done to my quads, too...and my back..and my knee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep you posted. I am already bought in though!

      Delete
  6. I had one of these after Dumbo and DAMN, did it hurt. I was glad I did it though, totes worth it. I need to get another one soon. My guy said regular maintenance is key to preventing injury; or maybe he just wants my money...

    ReplyDelete